6 Hacks to Lower Your Winter Heating Bill
Winters in Pittsburgh can be brutal. The snowfall can be heavy and the temperatures can get really low. Chances are, your heat has been running constantly and you might be dreading your heating bill. While electricity isn’t getting any cheaper, there are ways to help lower your heating bill.
- Set your thermostat properly. Programmable thermostats can work wonders for your comfort and for your energy costs. Modern thermostats allow you to have total control over the climate in your home. You can set sleep and day schedules so the temperature is always just right. You can also control the fan to help cut back on energy costs. Even small changes to your thermostat can save you money. Consider lowering the temperature a few degrees at night and while you’re a way to cut down on costs.
- Seal up windows and doors. You could be losing heated air and allowing cold air to seep into your home through cracks in windows and doors. Check each window and door in your home and caulk up any gaps. Replace worn-out weather stripping around your doors.
- Use fans. Turn on your ceiling fans to help circulate the air. You’ll feel the warmth throughout your home without having your furnace have to work overtime.
- Change your air filters. Changing your air filters regularly is a cheap and easy way to ensure your HVAC system stays in check. A new filter will allow for better airflow and better indoor air quality. Clogged filters can cause your HVAC system to work harder than it needs to.
- Keep curtains and blinds closed at night. When the night is coldest, you’ll want to keep your home warm without setting the temperature too high. Keeping your blinds and drapes closed acts as an insulator to your windows.
- Close off unused rooms. To save money on heating and energy costs, simply close the door on unused rooms or areas of your house. Don’t waste money heating a room you don’t use!
Heating Repairs in Pittsburgh
Looking for heating repair in Pittsburgh? One Hour Heating and Air Conditioning is your local HVAC company. We’re available around the clock so you don’t have to go without heat. Schedule a service today and keep comfort in your home.